Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My adventure in cooking last Thursday

Ok...so, a while back I post about my boss' pot roast that she made for a potluck. Well, I tried to make last Thursday.

Yeah...looked nothin' like it! argh

I have to say...it was due to the milk allergy and my lack of creativity in the kitchen. All brands of brown gravy packets at my local market had some form of milk in the darn things!! *sigh*

So, I went with the McCormick's Slow Cooker Savory Pot Roast packet. It did not make the thick gravy I so loved on the one my boss made. I will have to look for a gravy packet at Trader Joe's or Clark's some time.

Here are some pics of the process and results:

I used of beef brisket instead what the recipe called for because that's what I had on hand and didn't want to buy more meat. I'd never cooked one before and had forgotten what my tias had said about it needing to cook long, etc. Anyway, it was about 3.5 hrs in to the cooking and it seemed tough still, so I poured 1/2 a can of coke on it!!! lol
hey, it worked! Was tender in the end!

The ingredients I used. I decided I wanted veggies to make it a proper pot roast. Potatoes, celery, and carrots...which I preboiled for about 10 minutes before adding to the crockpot.




The result!












I liked it! For me, I'd reused the ingredients I used if I could not find the proper gravy packet. My tia however did not like it as much. She is very picky about her meat...must be VERY well done, or she grosses out. She did say she would prefer the brisket cooked in the oven. And she did after all eat it...even was going to eat leftovers, but me and my Tigger beat her to them the next day!!! lmao

In the next few days, I will be posting about the Portabello Pasta salad I made today! For now, must get to bed as I must be up before 5 am to get ready for work!

Have good a day everyone!

1 comment:

Christine said...

MMmmm that looks yummy!
Would you believe I don't own a crock pot?!? I'm going to get one soon, though, because when we are under construction, I won't have a kitchen for a while. I hope its only a few weeks... but I bet it will be like two months! EEep!